Well its been rather quite on the summer challenge front, and there’s a reason for that, unfortunately I’ve been swamped in uni work. However I’m making slow progress (when I should be working on my final year project, never mind) currently just trying to code in the basics for my game, the very basics that is. Part way through modeling a vehicle for my game so hopefully I should be able to get a couple of screenshots up soon, and maybe a demo (don’t hold your breath).
So I’ve just been following a tutorial on how to 3D model a vehicle, and I’ve finally started to make something that actually looks pretty good. I think I finally see where I’ve been going wrong when it comes to 3D modelling, so hopefully, from now on at least, I should be able to model stuff that looks a bit better. Fingers crossed.
So I’ve finally got the AI to actually work, and now does what I want it to do instead of doing what it wants.
I can’t remember if I updated everyone on the progress, but what me and James have decided to do is use UDK as the game engine, due to the complexity of Unity and the fact it was driving me insane.
So were now, pretty much, half way through our summer challenge, and after not getting very far with unity we’ve decided to change and use udk instead. Mainly due to the amount of time we have left, and due to having other commitments as well. Hopefully we’ll be able to get some screen shots up soon so you can have a gander at what we’ve been doing. :)
So after playing with Unity for the past month or so I’ve come to the conclusion that its a good piece of software, however its quite complex and requires some impressive organisational skills to make sure you know what piece of code goes with what, what each item is meant to be doing.
Hopefully I’ll be able to get some screen shots sorted and then talk a bit more about what the game is etc :)